Stephen Davismoon was born in London. He completed undergraduate studies in music at the University of Southampton, specializing in composition and performance (Classical Guitar). He completed his Doctorate in Composition at the University of Edinburgh, studying with Nigel Osborne, which combined study into extended instrumental/vocal techniques along with computer sound synthesis and algorithmic composition.
He is currently Professor of Contemporary Composition and Head of Performing Arts, Edge Hill University, West Lancashire, England.
He has had a professional composition career for over 20 years, and has written music for a broad range of ensembles and situations – from solo pieces through to works for full orchestra, with and without voices. He has also written a number of live electronic/interactive; electroacoustic and sound-art installation pieces.
He has had performances in Brazil, Canada, Finland, France, Germany, Holland, Iceland, Italy, Lithuania, Spain, Switzerland, UK, Ukraine, Uruguay and the USA. He has worked with many notable musicians, institutions and festivals along the way: Roberto Fabbriciani; Rohan de Saram; Die Neuevocalsolisten; Scottish Opera; Centro Tempo Reale; Das Experimentalstudio der Heinrich Strobel Stiftung; Richard Craig; Tara Boumann; Luciane Cardassi, CCMIX Studios; Edinburgh International Festival – ‘Behind the Scenes’; Martyn Brabbins; Chamber Group of Scotland; Le Champs Libre; Ensemble Linea; Brake Drum Percussion Ensemble; The Edinburgh Quartet; Klangwerktage Hamburg; Finestre sul Novecento; The Tampere Conservatoire Symphony Orchestra.
In addition to his work as a composer Stephen also writes regularly on matters relating to contemporary music history and practice. His scholarly work on Luigi Nono and Edgard Varèse for Routledge were well-received.
Stations of the Clyde was composed for the ‘Stations of the Green’ exhibition curated by The Drouth’s Johnny Rodger and Mitch Miller, focusing on Turner Prize winning GSA alumnus Douglas Gordon's demolished public artwork 'Proof' at the remains of Glasgow Green Station. The exhibition ran at New Glasgow Society 1307 Argyle St. Glasgow, 26th April – 17th May 2013.